acumen 3.0ɑ
W. S. Hoole Special Collections Library Manuscript Collections

Guide to the Hugo F. Biedermann papers MSS.0155

ASSET VIEWER
Publication:

University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama

Box 870266
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 35487-0266
205.348.0500
archives@ua.edu

May 2009

Creation:

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-11-29T18:49-0600

Language Usage:

English

Description Rules:

Describing Archives: A Content Standard

November 2012
Collection Title:

Hugo F. Biedermann papers

Unit ID:

MSS.0155

Repository:

University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama

5041
Quantity:

0.4 Linear feet

Dates:

circa 1940s

Abstract:

The collection includes copies of patents granted Biedermann, as well as contracts and some scattered miscellaneous papers. The bulk of the collection consists of photographs of projects worked on by the firm of Skinner and Biedermann, including the Anniston Army Depot and many buildings on the University of Alabama campus, including the Engineering building, Lloyd Hall, Denny Chimes, Denny Stadium, Doster Hall, Graves Hall, and others.

Scope and Contents note

The collection includes copies of patents granted Biedermann, as well as contracts and some scattered miscellaneous papers. The bulk of the collection consists of photographs of projects worked on by Skinner and Biedermann, including the Anniston Army Depot and many buildings on the University of Alabama campus, such as the engineering building, Lloyd Hall, Denny Chimes, Denny Stadium, Doster Hall, Graves Hall, and others, as well as several houses in Tuscaloosa.

Preferred Citation:

Hugo F. Biedermann papers, W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library, University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama.

Acquisition Information:

Gift of Laura Jane B. Smith, 1997

Biographical/Historical note

Before coming to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Hugo F. Bidermann worked in the lumber industry in Wisconsin and Minnesota. He came to Tuscaloosa to build a sawmill for the Kaul Lumber Company. Largely self-educated, he subsequently operated a handle company and, for a time, was a silent partner with S. W. Skinner, general contractor, before forming the partnership of Skinner and Biedermann, General Contractors, in the late 1930s. According to information found in the papers, the two entered into a partnership contract in 1934 for the building of an addition to the Tuscaloosa Senior High School, and later they were partners with James M. Waddell, which arrangement was dissolved in 1945. The Biedermann-Skinner partnership ended with Skinner’s death in 19??.

Access Restrictions:

None

Usage Restrictions:

None

Processing Information:

Processed by

Unknown; updated by Andrew Harris, 2012

Source(s)

Biedermann, Hugo F. , unknown (local)

Architects and builders (lcsh)

Architecture and Landscape (localbroad)

Business and Labor (localbroad)

Business records (aat)

Photographs (aat)

University of Alabama (localbroad)

Papers Box 5041