acumen 3.0ɑ
W. S. Hoole Special Collections Library Manuscript Collections

Guide to the Echola School Papers MSS.0470

ASSET VIEWER
Publication:

University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama

Box 870266
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 35487-0266
205.348.0500
archives@ua.edu

January 2009

Creation:

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-03-07T16:00-0600

Language Usage:

English

Description Rules:

Describing Archives: A Content Standard

March 2013
Collection Title:

Echola School Papers

Unit ID:

MSS.0470

Repository:

University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama

Quantity:

0.4 Linear feet (photocopies)

Dates:

undated

Abstract:

Photocopies of attendance and tuition records, as well as a short history of the school written by one of its teachers.

creator

Echola School.

Preferred Citation:

Echola School Papers, W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library, University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama.

Access Restrictions:

None

Usage Restrictions:

None

Acquisition Information:

unknown

Processing Information:

Processed by

S. Braden, 2009; updated by Martha Bace, 2013

Scope and Contents note

The collection contains photocopied registers of W.M. White, township superintendent of free public schools in Township 19 Range 12W (Echola, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama). The registers document the attendance of students in the Echola Schools between 1896 and 1905. There is also a photocopy of an essay written by Mrs. Julie White Matthews, entitled “The Growth of Echola Schools” that describes the funding for public schools, the development of roads and buses, and life at the schools.

Biographical/Historical note

The Echola School was established in 1883 in Echola, Alabama, on land donated by Sarah E. Mayfield and Nancy White. James White, superintendent of free public schools in Township 19-R-12W (part of Tuscaloosa County, although there is no information exactly where this land was situated). In 1921, community members pledged and donated money to match state funding to construct a five-room building on land donated by Oscar Pearson and Henry McFerrin.

Echola School was closed at the end of the 1949-1950 academic year. The building was bought by the community from the state for $500 for use as a community building.

Source(s)

Community and Place (localbroad)

Education (localbroad)

Southern Life and Culture (localbroad)

Students (localbroad)

Teacher (localbroad)

Papers (1 of 3) Box 470.001 Folder 1

Papers (2 of 3) Box 470.001 Folder 2

Papers (3 of 3) Box 470.001 Folder 3