acumen 3.0ɑ
W. S. Hoole Special Collections Library Manuscript Collections

Guide to the Confederate States Army, Ninth Georgia Cavalry Regiment (Cobb's Legion) vouchers MSS.0565

ASSET VIEWER
Publication:

University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama

Box 870266
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 35487-0266
205.348.0500
archives@ua.edu

January 2009

Creation:

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-04-16T10:32-0500

Language Usage:

English

Description Rules:

Describing Archives: A Content Standard

April 2013
Collection Title:

Confederate States Army, Ninth Georgia Cavalry Regiment (Cobb's Legion) vouchers

Unit ID:

MSS.0565

Repository:

University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama

Quantity:

0.2 Linear feet

Dates:

1862

Abstract:

Vouchers issued to soldiers of the Ninth Georgia Cavalry Regiment by the Confederate States Army for pay, etc.

creator

Confederate States of America. Army. Cobb's Legion. Cavalry Battalion.

Scope and Contents note

Vouchers issued to soldiers of Cobb's Legion (Ninth Georgia Cavalry Regiment) by the Confederate States Army. The vouchers are for pay, hiring horses, and purchasing materials for the unit.

Preferred Citation:

Confederate States Army, Ninth Georgia Cavalry Regiment (Cobb's Legion) vouchers, W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library, University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama.

Biographical/Historical note

Cobb's Legion (also known as the Georgia Legion) was a Confederate States Army military unit raised in Georgia by Thomas Reade Rootes Cobb during the summer of 1861. A "legion" consisted of a single integrated command, with individual components from the infantry, cavalry, and artillery. When it was originally raised, the Georgia Legion comprised seven infantry companies, four cavalry companies, and a single battery. The concept of a multiple-branch unit was fine in theory, but never was a practical application for Civil War armies and, early in the war, the individual elements were assigned to other organizations.

The infantry battalion was assigned to Howell Cobb's brigade in Lafayette McLaws's Division of James Longstreet's Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia. The infantry battalion surrendered at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865.

The cavalry battalion was expanded first to eight companies, then later to eleven companies before finally being decreased to ten companies. It was redesignated as the 9th Georgia Cavalry, but continued to be called Cobb's Legion. It surrendered at Greensboro, North Carolina, on April 26, 1865.

The artillery battery, known as the Troup Artillery (named for former governor George M. Troup), was from Athens, Georgia. After the Legion was reorganized, the Troup Artillery was assigned to the Artillery Battalion of Longstreet's Corps. The Troup Artillery disbanded April 9, 1865.

Acquisition Information:

unknown

Processing Information:

Processed by

S. Braden, 2009; updated by Martha Bace, 2013

Access Restrictions:

None

Usage Restrictions:

None

Source(s)

Artifacts (aat)

Civil War (localbroad)

Financial records (aat)

United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Military personnel--Confederate (lcsh)

War and Military (localbroad)

Vouchers Box 966