acumen 3.0ɑ
W. S. Hoole Special Collections Library Manuscript Collections

Guide to the Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Service Men's Center Scrapbook MSS.1604

ASSET VIEWER
Author:

Finding aid prepared by Donnelly Lancaster

Publication:

University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama

Box 870266
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 35487-0266
205.348.0500
archives@bama.ua.edu

2003

Creation:

This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2009-08-28T15:06-0500

Language Usage:

English

Description Rules:

Describing Archives: A Content Standard

Collection Title:

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Service Men's Center scrapbook

Unit ID:

MSS.1604

Repository:

University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama

Quantity:

1.4 Linear feet 1 scrapbook

Dates:

1943-1946

Abstract:

A scrapbook containing photographs, letters, greeting cards, newspaper clippings, activity programs, and other items relating to the Tuscaloosa Service Men's Center for soldiers during World War II.

Scope and Contents note

A scrapbook containing photographs, letters, greeting cards, newspaper clippings, activity programs, patches, magazines, military insignia descriptions, and other miscellaneous items. The scrapbook focuses on the activities held at the service men's center rather than Northington Hospital. Some of the newspaper clippings, however, do relate to the latter. The scrapbook is not arranged chronologically.

Processing Information:

Processed by

Donnelly Lancaster, 2003

Preferred Citation:

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Service Men's Center scrapbook, W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library, University Libraries Division of Special Collections, The University of Alabama.

Acquisition Information:

Gift of Mrs. Burton (Elizabeth) Morley, 1967

Biographical/Historical note

The Tuscaloosa Junior Chamber of Commerce established the Service Men's Center, a facility for entertaining military personal stationed in the area, in January 1943. Mrs. Elizabeth Morley was its hostess. The Center was originally intended to host young American, British, and French men who were in the Army Specialized Training Program at the University of Alabama, pilots training at the Van De Graff Airport, and Air Corps cadets training at the University of Alabama. Over one hundred carefully chosen ladies between the ages of eighteen and thirty served as hostesses to these young, healthy men. Soon, however, the healthy men left Tuscaloosa and were replaced by wounded soldiers at the Northington General Hospital in Tuscaloosa. Northington was constructed in 1943 and during the war became the world's largest burn hospital, specializing in plastic surgery. The hostesses not only entertained soldiers at the Service Men's Center, they also visited soldiers at Northington, where the auditorium served as a dance hall. The hostesses offered therapy though kindness to scarred soldiers and helped them re-enter the public world. The service center provided a safe environment for service men to spend time with young ladies from Tuscaloosa and the University of Alabama and to enjoy games, sports, dinners, dances, plays, and other activities. Originally located at 1922 Broad Street, the Tuscaloosa Service Men's Center moved to what is now the University Club of the University of Alabama on September 1, 1943.

Box 5980 Folder 0

Tuscaloosa Service Men's Center Scrapbook, 1943-1946 http://purl.lib.ua.edu/54365