Emphasis (1968 : The University of Alabama), Charles Weltner discusses the Southerner at the crossroads
- Permanent URL: http://purl.lib.ua.edu/82832
- Other Title
- Directions: American society at the crossroads
- In his panel discussion, Weltner begins by going over several moments in southern history that constituted a crossroads, such as the Civil War and the decision in Brown vs. Board of Education. He says the current crossroads is one of attitude, how to deal with the cycle of ignorance and poverty in the south. After giving startling statistics about education and money, he questions whether the deficient educational system causes income problems or income problems result in a deficient educational system. Whatever the source of the problems, he believes something should be done to combat them, to bring the south up to the national average.
- sound recordings
- Weltner, Charles Longstreet
- EBSCO Industries
- University of Alabama; University of Alabama. Student Government Association
- The University of Alabama Libraries (Tuscaloosa, Alabama)
- Date Created
- 1968 March 22 1968-03-22
- Physical Description
- 1 open reel tape
- United States--Alabama--Tuscaloosa County--Tuscaloosa
- Education--Southern States
- Poverty--Southern States
- Document Type
- sound recording-nonmusical
- William Stanley Hoole Special Collections Library
- Repository Collection
- Online Repository
- The University of Alabama Libraries Digital Collections
- Digital Collection
- Emphasis, 1967-1971: Symposium on Contemporary Issues
- Funding Information
- The digitization of this collection was funded by a gift from EBSCO Industries.
- Access Conditions
- Collection may be protected under Title 17 of the U.S. Copyright Law.
- To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the W. S. Hoole Special Collections Library.