Emphasis (1968 : The University of Alabama), John Kenneth Galbraith discusses impact of Viet Nam on American life
- Permanent URL: http://purl.lib.ua.edu/82835
- Other Title
- Directions: American society at the crossroads
- In his speech, Galbraith discusses American foreign policy, specifically with regards to Vietnam. He outlines the changes in foreign policy since WWII , claiming that the current administration is stuck in the mindset of a foreign policy that worked for the previous generation but no longer works, because of how the world has changed. He cautions that simply continuing to do what they’ve done without reevaluating their policies and tactics is the cause of their failure in Vietnam. He feels they need to bring to country up to speed with reality, and that might mean making changes in the men who are leading the country, not just in the foreign policy itself. In the Q&A, Galbraith addresses questions on the following topics: 1) the usefulness of economics, 2) the role of the UN in the Vietnam war, 3) the usefulness of aid to developing countries, 4) Gen. Westmoreland’s removal, 5) students and anti-war programs, 6) securing south Vietnam, 7) possible communist world domination, 8) what the soldiers are fighting for, 9) U.S. insistence on democracy in other countries, 10) Bobby Kennedy as “revolving-door liberal”, 11) his support of Eugene McCarthy, 12) American investment abroad and its effects.
- sound recordings
- Galbraith, John Kenneth, 1908-2006
- EBSCO Industries
- University of Alabama; University of Alabama. Student Government Association
- The University of Alabama Libraries (Tuscaloosa, Alabama)
- Date Created
- 1968 March 22 1968-03-22
- Physical Description
- 3 open reel tapes
- United States--Alabama--Tuscaloosa County--Tuscaloosa
- United States--Foreign relations--Vietnam
- United States--Foreign relations--1945-1989
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American--Alabama--Tuscaloosa
- Document Type
- sound recording-nonmusical
- William Stanley Hoole Special Collections Library
- Repository Collection
- Online Repository
- The University of Alabama Libraries Digital Collections
- Digital Collection
- Emphasis, 1967-1971: Symposium on Contemporary Issues
- Funding Information
- The digitization of this collection was funded by a gift from EBSCO Industries.
- Access Conditions
- Collection may be protected under Title 17 of the U.S. Copyright Law.
- To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the W. S. Hoole Special Collections Library.